Frequent Asked Questions
As a public school of choice, WPA was created for a single purpose: to support the family. We are proud to be the choice of thousands of North Carolina families. Our charter allows us the flexibility to deliver exactly what families want - the best educational experience in a moral and wholesome environment.
At WPA, we believe that the right environment accelerates learning; that's why we teach our RAISE leadership values (Respect, Accountability, Integrity, Service, Excellence) at every grade level. These values help us maintain a moral and wholesome environment which enhances a student's overall experience.
With our blend of Project-based learning and Back to Basics instruction, WPA offers a unique learning environment that utilizes data-driven instruction in an accelerated curriculum. Our faculty of credentialed teachers and leaders is focused on helping every student succeed and be prepared for college, career, and beyond.
A major difference between WPA and district schools is funding. WPA is funded based on enrollment levels; we receive funding from the state on a per pupil basis.
In contrast, district schools are funded from sources not available to WPA. For example, in addition to state funding, districts receive money from local property taxes, levies and voter-approved overrides.
Districts are subsidized further for construction, repairs, transportation, and debt financing. WPA will absorb these costs without the benefit of any of these additional sources.
Despite less funding, WPA students experience faster growth rates in learning and achievement, and teachers and administrators are paid competitive wages, all because there is less red tape when the inefficiencies of government are removed from the school.
- How is WPA Different From Other Charter Schools?
- Is WPA a Non-Profit Organization?
- Who Can Receive an Education at WPA?
- How is WPA Run?
- What is an EMO?
- Why Did WPA Select Charter One?
- How Much Need/Interest is There in Another Charter School in Wake County?
- How do I apply for admittance?
- Will tours of the campus be offered?
- Is there a chance WPA will not open for the 2022-2023 school year?
- Does WPA require that students and staff to wear masks?
- Does WPA have a before and after school care program?
- How do parents purchase school uniforms?
- My child is transferring from another school. Will WPA notify my child’s school of the transfer?
- Does WPA have a cafeteria?
- Is WPA an allergy-free or nut-free school?
- Will students be able to use a microwave to warm up lunches they bring from home?
- What are your class sizes?
- Will students have access to Chromebooks?
- Does WPA offer an Academically Gifted Program?
- Does WPA have an Intervention Program?
- Do K-6 students switch classes?
- Do Junior High and High School students switch classes?
- Do Junior High and High School students share the same floor levels, hallways, and bathrooms?
- Does Wake Prep have a school Nurse?
- Will students in K-6 grade have recess time?
- How will WPA communicate with families?
- Will students take North Carolina state assessments?
- What percentage of WPA teachers will be certified?
- Will parents be allowed to volunteer in the classrooms?
- Is transportation available?
- Does WPA provide Drivers Education?
- Where will WPA be located?
- Will WPA go through 12th Grade?
- How can I receive up-to-date information about WPA?
- How can I show my support for WPA?
- What time does the school day start and end?
- What type of school calendar is WPA on?
- Does WPA offer a hybrid or distance learning option?
- What are WPA’s expectations for student behavior?
- Does WPA have a discipline policy?
- What is WPA’s instructional model?
- What curriculum is used at WPA?
- Are Specials/Electives courses offered?
- Is homework assigned at WPA?
- Is after school tutoring offered?
- What is WPA’s grading scale?
- How are grades weighted at WPA?
- What High School Diploma tracks does WPA offer?
- Are Honors and AP courses available?
- How are students placed in Honors and AP courses?
- Are Honors and AP courses weighted?
- Are Career and College Promise (CCP) courses offered?
- Can my student graduate from WPA with an Associate Degree?
- When is RAISE Leadership taught?
- Will WPA offer extracurricular activities to K-6 students?
- Will 7-12 Athletics & Fine Arts programs be offered?
- Is the elementary school separated from the junior high/high school?
- Do you have a cafeteria and is lunch available for purchase?
- Will students be able to warm up lunches they bring from home?
- Is WPA a closed campus or open campus?